FM 2008

Excursion & banquet 29th of May 2008

On Thursday evening after the official program we will have the conference excursion and banquet. Busses will take us from Caribia to Forum Marinum, where the excursion will take approximately at 16.30-18.00PM.
Shipbuilding and ship repair have been carried out in the area since the Middle Ages. Shipyards have operated in Turku since the 18th century and these include among others the famous Crichton-Vulcan shipyard, which once was the largest shipyard in Finland.

The Maritime Centre also houses the Åbo Akademi University Institute of Maritime History and the Museumship Sigyn Foundation. For more information about Forum Marinum, please visit www.forum-marinum.fi/english/index.php?id=13.

At Forum Marinum we will take a look at the different ships in guided tours in English, which should last approximately 1,5 hours depending on the interest of the group members.
After the guided tours we walk to the Turku Castle, which is situated just next to the excursion sight. Turku Castle was founded on an island on the estuary of Aurajoki River in the 1280s as the administrative castle of the Swedish Crown. The castle was originally built in the form of a rectangular fortified camp. The fortified camp became a closed castle in the early 14th century, and the castle was divided into a main castle and bailey. Under the Swedish Duke Johan between 1556 and 1563, Turku Castle was renovated into a handsome renaissance castle; this is when its main features became the size they are today.
In the 1630s the bailey became the official residence for Pietari Brahe, the governor general of Finland. In the late 18th century, after the county governor and Higher Regional Court had moved from the castle to town, the castle underwent significant changes. The bailey became a prison and the main castle became a granary. The castle functioned as a prison until the 1890s after which the historical museum was placed in the bailey. Turku Castle was badly damaged by the bombings in 1941. The fully repaired castle was opened to the public in 1961.

Turku Castle is a significant landmark at the mouth of Aurajoki River, and it is surrounded by the harbor and the small-scale industry and storage areas that go with it. The Castle is part of the Finnish cultural and architectural heritage as an architectural monument, a museum and as premises for distinguished celebrations.

We will have the banquet in medieval style in the castle, the dinner should last approximately 19-23PM. For more information about Turku Castle, please visit www.turku.fi/public/default.aspx?nodeid=4537&culture=en-US&contentlan=2.